The Original (2003)
Revised 2nd edition
(Scarecrow Press 2011)
The Sequel (2010)
New insights and
optimal hand function
back to the whole body
NEW RELEASE (2012)
Highlights one of the
most neglected yet most
crucial parts of the hand
The Study Guide (2009)
- Chapter summaries
- Sample questions
- Thematic concordance
FEATURING THE ENTIRE LINE OF ALAN FRASER’S CRAFT OF PIANO PUBLICATIONS
Fraser’s unique approach to piano technique is guaranteed to transform your sound, your agility, your feeling not only of comfort and ease but of piano mastery. Based on the innate structure & function of the human hand, it promises to transform the piano technique of anyone from beginning amateur all the way to consummate professional.
"Astoundingly profound knowledge of body movement & structure..."
ISSTIP Journal, UK
Check out our
COMBO SALE DISCOUNTS
on the purchase of two or more items.
Note: Pricing does not include shipping costs.
Click here for postage & handling rates chart .
Craft of Piano Method: in the past 50 years, the single most significant advance in the study of piano pedagogy.
- Offers new, effective solutions for your most common problems in piano technique.
- Greatly enhances your colour and sonority – brings your piano sound to life!
- Clarifies your hand's innate structure and function to increase your power and sensitivity, the relaxation and agility of your piano technique.
- Corrects your counterproductive movements to increase the potency of your hand structure, enhance tone and avoid performance injury.
- Frees you from both tension and over-relaxation by teaching you effective hand activation based on optimal skeletal alignment.
- Brings a wealth of physiological knowledge to the nuts & bolts of piano technique.
- Informal and informed presentation of cutting edge technical knowledge.
- New discoveries in biomechanics evoke a completely new experience of the human hand.
- Although Craft of Piano Playing is designed to empower already healthy piano techniques, it also eliminates the risk of tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, focal dystonia, Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI) and other performance injuries.
Craft of Piano Method promises you:
- richer piano tone
- faster fingers
- more powerful sound
- greater keyboard skill and dexterity
- deeper musicianship
- in short, a true breakthrough in your piano technique
Discover the power and sensitivity of Craft of Piano Method for yourself!
Take our free 5-day Online Course
These online piano lessons present some of the key ideas from The Craft of Piano Playing in abridged form. Get a first taste of the transformation awaiting your piano technique…
If you're not sure where to start...
Why not first watch the DVD for an immediate, graphically effective presentation of Alan Fraser's ideas on piano technique, then read the original book for more detailed explanations, fleshing out the ideas and deepening your mastery of these core elements of piano technique?
After that, you'll be ready to move on to Honing the Pianistic Self-Image - and of course, the Study Guide is a valuable tool in crafting your own personal piano course of study.
Furthermore, many have started directly with Honing and and immediately improved their piano ability – this new volume stands very well on its own…
Whatever your study strategy, returning to these materials repeatedly promises you an ever-more powerful integration of the ideas into your piano playing.
Discover and utilize Alan Fraser's unique understanding of the physics of the hand, and bring your piano technique to a new level of mastery and artistry.
- synthesize and go beyond the finger action & arm weight schools.
- enhance both your speed and evenness, power and sensitivity, dexterity and richness of tone.
- access the innate structure & function of your hand to transform your playing no matter what your level, from beginner to seasoned professional.
No serious pianist or music library should be without this complete line of paino method study materials
40 years of intensive research on piano technique…
Since 1970, Canadian pianist Alan Fraser has immersed himself in the German, French and Russian schools of piano technique, subjecting the best aspects of each to rigorous analysis in the light of his early studies with pioneer pianist-psychologist Phil Cohen, his 20-year experience in Feldenkrais Method and his even longer ongoing immersion in a 'piano playing think tank' with one of the top pianists in the world today, Kemal Gekich.
The result is Craft of Piano Method, a totally new approach to piano technique that builds on, and goes beyond, the finger action and arm weight schools returning to the very structure and function of the human hand to unlock its innate capacity for powerful, evolved action on the keyboard.
The potent stability of the hand's natural arches, "skeletal alignment", and "unstable equilibrium" are just a few of the concepts that lace Fraser's empowering, easy-to-access piano padagogy. The exercises offer a refreshing look at how we do what we do at the piano.
This new version of our online store replaces past versions where we've tried various degrees of 'soft,' 'medium' or 'hard sell.' We've never really figured out which one works best – so we thought we'd let you be the judge.
'Soft Sell': At CraftofPiano.com , we don't sell at all, just offer a lot of background information on the Craft of Piano Method…
'Medium Sell': This previous version of our home page focuses on the DVD and gives more information than we could comfortably fit in the new format…
'Hard Sell': At our Engage in the Conversation page, we really get into the meaty questions surrounding your piano technique, evoking a 'dialogue with yourself' on how you could best improve the situation.
The Classic look: Our first ever site , designed by Jovan Haji-Djurich of IKRE84U, still wins compliments for looks, combining simplicity with elegance and easy use.